Hi everyone, I’m Brad, and I’m…
I’m the only one here.
That’s alright. This is fine. Nothing to worry about. It’s to be expected, actually. The blog is barely an hour old, I’ve put less than an hours work into themes and formatting, and I’ve done absolutely no marketing. I haven’t even told my family I’m a blogger yet.
That last bit begs a pretty good question: Am I even a blogger yet? Just a couple hours ago, I was little more than a WoW player, and a pretty meh one at that. Specifically, I identify as what scientists call an “altoholic”. No, not an alcoholic, an altoholic. (I’m already dreading the potential confusion this bit of word play is going to cause some people. If you’re feeling lost, and more than a little blurry, you’re probably looking for Alcoholics Anonymous. Sorry for the confusion, and good luck with your recovery Greg.)
Altoholism, to me, is a fun mix of WoW addiction and ADD. Basically, I play a character until I get tired of it, and instead of going and playing another game like a normal person, I just roll a new character. At time of writing, I have 10 level 110s. Dome days I feel like purging Azeroth of evil as my pious dwarf paladin. Other days I like to fling fire and ice as my gnome mage, or attach fire and ice to my axes and hit things in the face with it as my tauren shaman. Still other days I like to be a simple orc warrior with a big axe. Sometimes I PvP, sometimes I do Mythic dungeons or LFR, sometimes I just do world quests, or hang around Stormwind and RP. I even occasionally do pet battles.
So you’re probably thinking to yourself, “What does this mean for me, the reader? What sort of content can I expect to be published here?”. Great hypothetical question, hypothetical reader. I’ll be publishing as many articles as I possibly can a week, mostly WoW related, some simply WoW adjacent. But allow me to answer in more detail with my first series of bullet points!
- World of Warcraft Class Articles – As an altoholic, I have hands on time with every class and specialization in the game, and I love almost all of them (I’ll let you all know when I figure out Disc priests and Sub rogues). New to WoW, or returning for the first time in a while? Let me be your class and spec matchmaker. I can give you the pros and cons of any class, walk you through the play styles of each specialization, and make recommendations based on what you’re looking for. Want a DPS class with a simple rotation? A tank with a lot of mobility? A healer, heavy on the RNG? I’ve got just the spec for you!
- In-depth Guides – I’ll be writing tons of guides for WoW stuff! Leveling guides, dungeon guides, PvP guides, you name it! (Seriously, you name it. Let me know what you want to see, and I’ll write it!)
- Lorewalking – If there’s one thing that keeps me playing Warcraft above all other things, it’s the absolutely brilliant backstory and worldbuilding. I’ve been a citizen of Azeroth for over a decade now. I’ve quested through six expansions worth of content. I’ve read more than a dozen tie-in novels. I’ve already got a space on my bookshelf saved for World of Warcraft Chronicle Volume 3. I know exactly how massive the body of lore for this game is, but I want to get you guys as excited about it as I am so I’ll be publishing a series of “Lore Primers” to help you guys over the mountain of WoW lore and into the Valley of Knowing Things.
- WoW News – When WoW news breaks, you’ll hear it here! Though, in the name of full disclosure, it likely won’t be first. As an independent and still rather green writer, I don’t exactly have a team of people keeping their ears to the ground full-time for the tell-tale rumble of WoW news, and I don’t get any press advances from Blizzard either (yet!). So while you won’t read WoW news the second it happens here (with the exception of Live Blogs I’ll do during events like BlizzCon), you can expect to get in-depth coverage of Warcraft news very soon™ after it happens with my critical editorial thoughts stapled on.
- Warcraft-adjacent Content – Besides all of the above content, I’ll also be writing the occasional article about things that aren’t exactly about Warcraft. I play a lot of Hearthstone, more than a few of my nights are spent playing Overwatch with friends, I’m dipping my toes into Diablo, and I occasionally try out other MMOs. So maybe I’ll do a write-up about what Hearthstone deck or Overwatch hero I’m currently playing (my altoholism extends well beyond WoW) or maybe a side-by-side of WoW and another MMO.
Once again, you’re probably asking yourself some questions, like “Who the hell are you, thinking you can do all that stuff when you’ve never even blogged before?!” Thanks again, hypothetical reader, for allowing me to segue into a proper introduction.
I’m an MMO gamer. I’ve been playing WoW since the Burning Crusade launched when I was 15 (Go ahead, make fun of me for not playing since beta, and I’ll point you right back up to the website’s tagline). I’ve always loved writing, always wanted to make my way in the world as some sort of writer, and now I finally have the time and drive to just do it. I know every battle fought in the Second War. I don’t know all the ins and outs of running a WordPress blog yet, having only learned what WordPress is yesterday. I own a cat, a dog, and a 3-year-old daughter. I wonder if I’ll ever be able to finish all the Discworld novels. I think I may be suffering from a mild addiction to parentheses, but I hope to overcome it with your help.
My name is Brad, and I’m an altoholic.